Navigating the Challenges of a Lost or Stolen Green Card

Office Locations

Proudly Serving Dallas, FT.Worth, San Antonio, Houston.


OFFICE 1700 Pacific Ave. #3750, Dallas, TX 75201


OFFICE 851 Grainger St. Ste 107 Fort Worth TX 76104


OFFICE 110 Broadway St. Ste 370, San Antonio, TX 78205


OFFICE 815 Walker Street, Ste 945, Houston, TX

Lost or Stolen Green Card: Immediate Steps to Take

Imagine reaching for your wallet only to find that your Green Card, the key to your established life in the U.S., is missing. This small piece of plastic not only signifies your status as a permanent resident but is also vital for living and working in the U.S. Losing it can trigger a surge of panic; after all, a Green Card is not just a document—it’s the embodiment of your ability to remain in the U.S. lawfully.

The Green Card represents your lawful permanent resident status, a hard-earned right that solidifies your place in American society. With it, you can pursue opportunities, contribute to the economy, and enjoy the freedoms afforded in this country. Now, consider this: what are the appropriate actions to take when you find yourself without your Green Card?

Our commitment at Andrew T. Thomas, Attorneys at Law, is to navigate you through the turbulent waters of immigration issues, especially in cases of lost or stolen Green Cards. As a firm, we offer clarity and guidance based on our knowledge of these matters. In the next section, we explore the necessary steps to protect your residency status and ensure you remain on the right side of U.S. immigration policies.

Recognizing the Problem

Have you ever experienced the disconcerting sensation of searching for an important document only to discover it is not in its expected location? For many individuals, this scenario unfolds with critical identification documents, such as a Green Card. This document holds immense significance for numerous lawful permanent residents, serving as a cornerstone of their daily existence.

Consider the implications of its sudden loss or theft—a disappearance that nullifies a vital legal identifier. Operating without this essential document parallels attempting to navigate a boat without oars—a feasible but notably arduous endeavor.

In the United States, a Green Card transcends its material form, embodying an individual’s legal residency status and associated entitlements. Its absence instills a profound sense of urgency, marking the commencement of a race against time upon realization of its disappearance.

Notably, the expiration date imprinted on the card carries substantial implications. When was the last time you verified your validity? An expired Green Card yields comparable consequences to a lost or stolen one.

A significant responsibility befalls individuals over the age of 18—the legal mandate to carry their Green Card. Without this document, substantiating one’s legal status becomes a formidable endeavor.

Contemplate the repercussions of a lost or stolen Green Card: Disruptions to daily routines, potential loss of employment opportunities as employers require valid authorization proof, and complexities associated with international travel, where re-entry into the country hinges on possessing this indispensable document.

Vigilance is paramount in identifying indications of a missing Green Card or one nearing its expiration. By comprehending the risks inherent in its absence, we underscore the imperative of swift action. Awareness serves as our ally, recognizing the issue constituting the initial stride toward resolution.

Immediate Actions to Take

When your Green Card is misplaced or compromised, swift and decisive steps are imperative to mitigate potential disruptions to your residency status and travel plans.

Firstly, if your Green Card is lost or stolen, immediately file a police report. This action protects your identity and provides necessary documentation for the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Next, promptly contact the USCIS Contact Center to report the incident and seek guidance. Your alien registration number and any relevant details should be ready to communicate.

Filing for Replacement: Form I-90

Submit Form I-90, the Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card, to start the replacement process. This crucial form can be filed by mail or through the USCIS online account, allowing you to easily track your case’s progress.

The filing fee is mandatory unless you qualify for a fee waiver. To prevent any delays, assemble all necessary documents and supporting documentation, ensuring that all personal details are accurate.

After filing, a receipt notice and a notice of action will be issued. It is crucial to attend your biometrics appointment, where your fingerprints, signature, and photograph will be collected to verify your identity.

Navigating USCIS Procedures

Understanding and patiently navigating through USCIS procedures is an essential part of the journey to replace your lost or stolen Green Card. After your biometrics are taken, you will await a decision from the USCIS, a period during which travel should be avoided without a valid Green Card

Processing times can vary; hence, it is recommended that you maintain up-to-date contact with the closest USCIS field office or through your USCIS account to receive timely updates on your application’s status.

For those seeking assistance or facing uncertainties with the replacement process, options like Andrew T. Thomas, Attorneys at Law, are available to help you navigate the complexities of immigration paperwork and contribute to a more comprehensive understanding of the procedures involved.

Legal Support from Andrew T. Thomas, Attorneys at Law

Losing a Green Card can be distressing, but we are here to help you navigate the replacement process. Our legal team efficiently resolves Green Card issues, ensuring the right action is taken.

We understand that when a Green Card goes missing, every moment counts. Initiating a motion to reopen or a motion to reconsider is a delicate affair where precise legal action is paramount. Our customized approach addresses each case’s unique aspects. From filing the necessary appeals to presenting motions, we provide thorough legal support every step of the way.

  • Assessing the situation and providing accurate timeline forecasts for replacements

  • Ensuring all forms are submitted with the correct information

  • Liaising with the appropriate authorities to expedite the process

For complex cases, especially those with a potential criminal record or irregularities, our immigration attorney knowledge is critical. Guidance through these intricate complexities is a role we take seriously.

Given your unique circumstances, should you question the duration of the card renewal process, our detailed timeline can clarify how expeditious we can be. You can learn about our approach to the renewal timeframe. 

Preventing Future Incidents

To thwart future mishaps, we advise on the best practices for keeping your Green Card secure. Maintaining digital copies of your Green Card and storing them alongside other important forms of identification in a safe location is prudent. Here are some tips to consider:

  • Regularly update and back up digital copies

  • Store your Green Card in a consistent, secure place when not in use

  • Remain vigilant against potential theft or fraud

Taking proactive steps to safeguard your Green Card is an investment in your peace of mind and future immigration dealings. We can guide you through preventative measures to enhance the security of your legal identification documents.


Losing or having your Green Card stolen can be unsettling. As your permanent resident card, it’s not just proof of your lawful residency—it’s central to your life in the U.S., from working to traveling. If it expires or is about to expire, you must pursue renewal immediately.

Contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate if you find yourself outside the U.S. without your Green Card. You might need a boarding foil or a transportation carrier document for travel back to the States. Additionally, apply for temporary proof of status, such as an I-551 stamp, which will serve in place of your Green Card for a year.

For those adjusting their status, such as through marriage or as an entrepreneur, ensure your paperwork, like Form I-751 for marriage or Form I-829 for entrepreneurs, is in order. Losing your green card can also affect employment if your Employment Authorization Document (EAD) is linked to your immigration status.

In instances of theft, mutilation, or loss, file a Form I-90 for a Green Card replacement. Make sure your mailing address is current to avoid delays. Keep a copy of your filed Form I-90 and Form I-797C and the notice of action as proof of your ongoing immigration status. Always keep track of your alien registration card or any biographical information changes that are vital for the renewal process.

Remember, whether it’s a renewal or a replacement you’re seeking, Andrew T. Thomas, Attorneys at Law, is poised to provide comprehensive support. You can learn about renewing or replacing your Permanent Resident Card through helpful government resources or by contacting us for tailored advice tailored to your situation.